According to National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), one in five U.S. adults experience mental health conditions each year. Research continues to show how important social connections are to our mental health. In fact, people who feel more connected to others have lower levels of anxiety and depression.
In recognition of this month, we encourage you to focus on your mental health by building or strengthening the social connections in your life. Here are a few Hello4Health™ resources to help you connect with others this month:
- Read more on why social connectedness is important and share one of our Spread Awareness images on Twitter, Facebook or through email to spread the awareness of the importance of social connections.
- Play social connections bingo: Try this new twist to an old game for simple ways to connect with others!
- Make a musical connection: Music has the power to evoke memories and create new ones. Share music with others in your life to spark connection.
Mental Well-Being Resources for All Ages
Did you know Allina Health has mental well-being resources for people of all ages? You’re probably most familiar with Hello4Health, which focuses on social connections for adults, but Allina has two other mental well-being programs we encourage you to check out!
Health Powered Kids focuses on youth, ages 3-14, with lesson plans to help kids Be Active, Keep Clean, Find Balance and Eat Well. Examples of their well-being resources include:
- What We Can Do to Stress Less
- Learning Mindfulness Through Movement
- Self-Esteem and Body Image Activities for Kids
Change to Chill focuses on youth, ages 13-19, with resources to help teens become more aware of what stress is, what causes it and how to manage it. Examples of their well-being resources include: