Supporting older adults through volunteering
Volunteering is a profound way to connect with others. Through service and solidarity we can help me the needs of not only others, but of ourselves as well. A research review shows volunteering can help people enjoy a sense of purpose and fulfillment, can reduce stress, and decrease risks of depression as it increases social interactions.
Check out volunteer opportunities in your area on VolunteerMatch.org. Using the search function, select the cause area ‘Seniors’ to find local opportunities.
If you are interested in volunteering to help a neighbor or friend, here are some tips to create your own volunteer activity:
- Reach out to a friend or neighbor who may need help from time to time or on a regular basis.
- Run errands like picking up groceries, prescriptions, etc.
- Help with yard/outdoor housework
- Help with pets
- Pick up newspapers/magazines/books to read
- Choose an older adult or relative to:
- Share a call with every week. Looking for things to talk about? Try our conversation starters with older adults!
- Write a letter or card to every week
- Send a photograph to every week. Visit our Connecting through Sharing Photos and Stories activity for tips and ideas.